The Yea Wetlands are a must visit town attraction.
Yea is situated between Seymour and Alexandra in a rich pastoral district.
Yea's commercial centre straddles each side of the wide boulevard of High Street with attractive parkland located in the street's central strip. Fronting High Street between Pechell Street and The Crescent are the Yea Fountain Gardens, containing lawns, rose gardens, a large fountain and a monument to the explorers Hume & Hovell. On the southern side of adjoining Station Street is a large expanse of parkland surrounding the former Yea railway station buildings.
Originally a gold mining area, the town retains many historical buildings built in those days including Beaufort Manor (1876), Yea Shire Hall (1894), the post office (1890), several hotels and churches.
The Yea River flows around the edge of the town centre and large reserve known as the Yea Wetlands has been developed around a group of small lakes beside the river. Aptly known as Yea's best kept secret, the wetlands can be accessed either via the town centre entrance opposite the police station on the corner of High Street and Hood Street, or by driving out to the car park located off the Goulburn Valley Highway just west of Killingworth Road. There is a network of walking tracks, boardwalks and bridges throughout the wetlands.