If you are travelling or holidaying in Murrindindi remember to stay informed and be prepared.
Stay safe in all of your activities whether cycling, swimming, hiking, walking, boating, fishing or driving around the region. Remember to keep hydrated and be sun smart.
Parks Victoria offers information on safe camping, remote parks, drinking water, tree risks and water safety. You can also find out about closures and up to date conditions in the relevant parks. Visit their website www.parks.vic.gov.au
To find out what you can and can't do during the declared Fire Danger Period, and on days of Total Fire Ban, when fires in the open air are legally restricted go to Can I or Can't I?
For information on fires go directly to www.emergency.vic.gov.au. This website is the single source of information and advice to help everyone prepare for, respond to and recover from all emergencies.
Make sure you:
- Always have a fully charged mobile phone battery (and keep it charged). Remember you may not always have mobile phone reception in regional Victoria.
- Download the VicEmergency app – Apple and Android
- Check the weather conditions with the Bureau of Meteorology www.bom.gov.au.
- Check the Fire Danger Rating and Total Fire Ban information for your destination at www.cfa.vic.gov.au . Murrindindi is in the North Central Fire District.
- Listen to ABC or Murrindindi Emergency Radio UGFM 88.9 - 106.9
- Call the VicEmergency Hotline for information on warnings, preparedness, planned burns and more - 1800 226 226
- Always call Triple 000 in an emergency
Whilst driving across the Murrindindi region please remain vigilant for wildlife, especially at dawn and dusk. If you do happen to come across injured wildlife on the roadside or hit wildlife on your journey please report the incident as soon as possible.
- You can report a wildlife emergency to Wildlife Victoria here via an online form or call the emergency response line on (03) 8400 7300 between 7.00am and 6.30pm, 7 days a week.
- Murrindindi Ranges Wildlife Shelter Inc. is a registered wildlife shelter operating in the Shire of Murrindindi, caring for injured and/or orphaned Australian native wildlife. Offering a 24/7 rescue service and has specialised facilities for adult kangaroos. Call 0430 440 286 for assistance.