Eildon, Thornton and Rubicon have long been popular destinations for those seeking to take some time to slow down and escape the pace of city life. Pleasure boaters and fishing enthusiasts share holidays alongside those aboard luxury houseboats and families camping by the river. The vibe is relaxed, friendly and fun.
Surrounded by national parks and state forests and connected by pristine rivers, with the magnificent Lake Eildon as the centerpiece, this is the perfect place for 'family time' or 'me time'.
Lake Eildon National Park and the Rubicon State Forest offer great camping and bushwalking, timber industry relics, loads of wildlife and stunning wild flowers, particularly in spring and early summer.
Mt Torbreck, the highest peak in Murrindindi, is great for an adventurous hike.
Did you know? The township of Darlingford was flooded to construct the Sugarloaf Reservoir in the late 1920s. The Sugarloaf Reservoir Dam Wall still exists under the waters of Lake Eildon.
-- MUST DO --
* Walk or cycle around the Eildon Pondage Walk
* Snap a pic from the Eildon Dam Wall
* Hire a houseboat for the ultimate weekend on the water
* Throw a line in the Rubicon River near Thornton
* Take in the panorama from the Foggs Lookout
* Rent a stand up paddleboard, kayak or fishing boat, and head out on the lake
* Explore the Rubicon Valley Historic Area
* Visit the Eildon Dams Museum
* Check out the spectacular Snobs Creek Falls